Community Health Dept
A Community Health Practitioner is a specially trained professional who provides promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative health activities and services to the people where they live or work. The department is putting in her best effort to train the students to be able to achieve the goals of the profession. The programmes that are being offered in the department include:
JCHEW is a Community Health Practitioners Registration Board of Nigeria (CHPRBN) fully accredited program.
Junior Community Health Extension Worker (JCHEW) with two years post qualification experience in addition to the above requirement mentioned, and applicant must be registered with the CHPRBN and possess a valid license
• Certificate in Community Health: 2 years programme to qualify as a Junior Community Health Extension Worker (JCHEW)
Entry Qualification: a candidate should possess three credits in English language, Mathematics, Biology and passes in two other subjects in WASSCE/NECO at not more than two sittings.
All programmes that are being offered in the department are accredited by the two regulatory Bodies; CHPRBN and NBTE.
Roles of Community Health Practitioners/Services
• Serves as the first level of contact for people to access health system
• to make essential health services accessible and available to people wherever they live or work.
• To provide preventive, promotive, diagnostic, curative and rehabilitative health care services
• To provide adequate and effective care at the grass root level
• To work together with other members of health team to achieve the goal of “Health for All” Nigerians irrespective of where they live or work.
Job opportunities: All cadres of Community Health Practitioner can work in various tiers of health system in the country based on their job description and Non-governmental Organizations. Also, they can be employed in military and paramilitary services.
Academic Development: Holders of Certificate in Community Health (JCHEW) can proceed for Diploma in Community Health after two years to qualify as a CHEW
Some Universities also offer admission to students with Diploma in Community Health to proceed for Bachelor programme in Community Health or other related courses.
A Community Health Practitioner practicing anywhere in Nigeria shall uphold and comply with the code of professional conduct, ethics and etiquette as prescribed by the regulatory Bodies.
Community Health Dept